We’re combining The Big Event and the 14th Year Memorial Blood Drive this year!
Please join the Richmond Hokies in supporting the American Red Cross’ Blood Drive in honor of those we lost on April 16th, 2007. The Blood Drive is on Tuesday, April 13th from 1 – 6pm at the Drury Plaza Hotel in Richmond.
To schedule an appointment: Go online to www.redcrossblood.org – search “rvahokies”
Use the RapidPass app which allows you to start the blood donation process from your home or office. Answer health questions before arriving at the blood drive location- this can shave 15-20 minutes off your donation time! RapidPass can also be found at www.redcrossblood.org/RapidPass — this must be completed on the day of the drive!
Health of donors for day of donation:
While a well-balanced diet is generally adequate to have normal iron levels, donors should eat extra iron-rich foods like fish, poultry, red meat, beans, peas, lentils, iron-fortified cereals, bread and dried fruit in the days prior to their donation appointments. Foods rich in vitamin C, such as oranges, broccoli, tomatoes, kiwi, strawberries, peppers, potatoes and cabbage, can increase iron absorption. Iron supplements should be taken only after consulting with a personal healthcare provider or pharmacist. Donors can learn more at redcrossblood.org/iron.
***Eat a good breakfast and/or healthy snack, drink plenty of water and carry a picture ID to the drive.
Consider a Power Red Donation!
– We encourage donors with the following types to give a Power Red donation: O negative, O positive, A or B negative.
– Power Red donors can give every 112 days, which is different than a regular blood donation every 56 days.
On June 15, the American Red Cross began testing all blood, platelet and plasma donations for COVID-19 antibodies.
– The antibody test is authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and may indicate if the donor’s immune system has produced antibodies to the coronavirus, regardless of whether they developed symptoms.
– The Red Cross hopes testing for COVID-19 antibodies will provide our valued donors insight into whether they may have been exposed to this coronavirus.
– We recognize that individuals and public health organizations desire more information about COVID-19, and as an organization dedicated to helping others, the Red Cross is fortunate to be able to help during this pandemic.
– Red Cross donors can expect to receive the results of their antibody test within 7 to 10 days through our Red Cross Blood Donor App or on our donor portal at RedCrossBlood.org.
INCENTIVE : The American Red Cross and INDYCAR® encourage donors to Race to Give Blood and get a chance to win a trip package for (4) to next year’s Indianapolis 500® when you donate between April 1st-15th. The need for blood doesn’t take a pit stop!