We have open volunteer positions!
The Richmond Hokies team is looking to expand participation in a few key roles. If you are an alum who loves Virginia Tech and wants to keep the Hokie Spirit alive in Richmond, we hope you will consider getting involved! The following positions are open:
Click on Title to open/close details!
There is a position for each medium: Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Chapter Newsletter
- Post about upcoming events and other important news on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram
- Monitor & respond to any questions and comments on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram
- Attend events and take pictures to post to Facebook/Twitter/Instagram
- Follow Facebook/Twitter/Instagram accounts of other Chapters and the VTAA
- Participate in quarterly meetings (in-person/virtual) of the Social Media Committee
The Richmond Chapter is looking for Event Leaders to coordinate and lead events on the day of the Big Event. The goal is for multiple concurrent volunteer opportunities for local alumni
Required: Event Leader meeting in person for about 60 minutes to establish the following
- Social Media assistance/promotions from the Chapter for Event Leaders
- Expectations for a timeline of planning from the Event Leaders to the Chapter
- Discussion of resources needed from Blacksburg
- Effective feedback and surveying for evaluation and planning
Freshmen Student Sendoff
The Student Sendoff Committee is looking for volunteers to help plan the Annual Student Sendoff. The event tends to be between May 15th and August 15th of each year. Planning usually begins around February 15th of each year
Planning Committee Goals:
- Establish a date, time and location for the event with enough prior notice in order for Blacksburg (Alumni Relations) to send communication (webpage, email and postcard) on our behalf
- Establish connections with the following to increase event participation
- Current VT students
- Incoming VT students
- High school professionals
- Previous attendees
- Scholarship winners
- Richmond Hokie Parent Group
- Faculty and Staff
- Establish timelines and parameters for future events with a database for querying purposes
- Establish surveys and feedback from various stakeholders in the event (usually sent midway through the event to capture input while on attendees’ minds).
April 16 Blood Drive
The American Red Cross provides:
- Account Manager to help guide through the process below
- Registration volunteer on the day of the event
- Extensive promotion material
- Secure a Date and Time for the Blood Drive
- Select an Appropriate Site for the Blood Drive
- Set Measurable Goals for the Blood Drive
- Establish your Recruitment and Day of Teams
- TEAM BUILDING
- Assign Specific Roles to Team Members
- Plan Recruitment and Promotional Strategy
- Publicize your Blood Drive
- RECRUITING DONORS
- Distribute Red Cross Materials
- Schedule Appointments
- Confirm Donor Appointments
- Check Site Arrangements and Parking
- FINAL COUNTDOWN
- Remind Donors and Reconfirm Appointments
- Reconfirm Day of the Drive Volunteers
- Coordinate with your Red Cross Rep
- Post Directional Posters
- DAY OF THE DRIVE
- Greet Red Cross Staff
- Review Master Schedule
- Remind Donors / Contact No Shows
- Post Results of the Blood Drive
- AFTER THE DRIVE
- Thank Donors
- Recognized and Thank the Blood Drive Team
- Confirm / Book Date for the Next Blood Drive
- Planning Period: Average time is 10 minutes per week for updates.
- Day of the blood drive: 8 hours commitment with the help other Chapter volunteers during different portions of the day
- Arrive 15 minutes early to the event in Hokie attire
- Encourage people to attend the event
- Help participants to signup for RVA Hokies
- Lead cheers and chants to engage patrons/fans
Actively seek out and give platform to diverse Alumni using the core values of InclusiveVT and the Principles of Community as a guide
Tasks and Duties:
- Attend planning meetings of the chapter.
- Coordinate with Social Media Committee to target overlooked alumni segments.
- Organize social events which to highlight InclusiveVT (quarterly basis, if possible).
- Recruit underrepresented alumni to become active volunteers and leaders in the chapter.
If you are interested, please Contact Us! Everyone is welcome!!! We look forward to hearing from you.
GET IN TOUCH WITH US!